Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Nieto 3

While reading through chapter three, one of the biggest issues that stuck out to me was imagining a school where 80 of every 100 students enrolled do not make it to high school graduation. It was also stated that Latino students drop out of school at a higher rate than any other ethnic group. This comes as a mild shock to me. Growing up, it was just assumed that I would go to high school and college. Once I started observing my mom in her classroom in the Pilsen area (mainly hispanic neighborhood in Chicago), I realized that not all students grow up with this goal in mind. At one school my mom taught at, it only went up to 6th grade, and still students couldnt even make it to that graduation. I remember my mom telling me that those who did celebrated their 6th grade graduation like it was 8th or even high school because that might be all they ever got. As young as I was, I remember feeling disheartened. I know what an excellent teacher my mom is, as well as those who taught around her, and yet despite these excellent teachers, these Latino students still werent going to graduate.

Nieto also talked about Black and Latino students being underrepresented in programs for gifted and talented. In CPS classrooms I have observed in, I have noticed those students that should be placed in gifted classrooms, yet are not necessarily challenged enough or separated from the other students. Now, I'm not saying that these gifted students must be separated from other students, but should definitely be challenged enough whlie in the classroom. If the school offers gifted programs, there is no reason why minority studetns shouldnt be in them. I thought it was shocking that a correlation was found between the number of White teachers in a school district and minority special education, while placement of White students in special education classes was not related to the race of the teachers.

Another interesting topic was sexism in schools. From personal experience, it does seem like girls are just expected to be quiet, good, and smart all the time. Nieto points out that "high- achieving female students tend to receive the least attention of all from their teachers." Why is this? I did not know that cirriculums usually follow the male developmental levels as opposed to females; i think there should be somewhat of a balance. Nieto makes a statement, however, that competition is not the best learning environment for females or "most students of color." I guess I was just wondering why competition is a bad thing for everyone but males? Why would this be divided by race and gender? I think it depends on the personality. Competition can also be internal or extenal. I think some sort of competition is necessary, at least with one's self. It is a motivational tool.

This chapter is also relatable to Kozol. It made me this of particularly the funding schools receive. You would think that the poorest schools would receive the most funding since they need it more, but its usually the exact opposite. It is very sad to think that schooling is not enough to change a person's economic situation. Isnt that what the American dream is all about? Having the opportunity to improve one's life? Kozol talks about the cycle in East Saint Louis: students do not receive an education, cant get good jobs, have families at an early age, and the whole process starts over, never improving. Since I will be working in a school of need, I realize how much teachers need to motivate their students. We have to stress that they can succeed regardless of their status because they can.

hmmm... i think my train of thought ends there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home