Tuesday, September 12, 2006

New Year/New School

Today was my first day at Bent Elementary. I was outside the entire time during 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade recess. It wasnt as bad as I had inticipated. There are a lot of children running around, but there werent any serious issues.

The first thing I noticed when I walked up to the school were the discipline guildelines that the students were already well aware of during their third week of school. Everything is very structured, from the lunch lines to the recess lines. Some teachers dont even have to say a word to their class, they just give them a look and the class knows what to do. It brought back memories from grammar school and how much I hated lining up or getting recess taken away.

I didnt get to interact much with the third graders, but as soon as I walked onto the playground, a little girl ran up to me to ask me a question without even knowing who I was. She was able to recognize that I was an authority figure. During the 5th grade recess, there was a girl, Stephanie, who was attatched to me. She talked to me throughout the entire period. I found that she doesnt have many friends at the school and will soon be transfering to a Christan school nearer to her house. Her cousin will also be attending this school, which made her feel happy and excited to leave Bent. I felt bad for her, and even though she talked my ear off, I recognized that she needed a friend. I later came to find out that her mother is supposedly in Germany and her father is not very involved in her life. She has 2 older sisters that she mentioned. I would like to focus on Stephanie because she seems to need someone in her life, and she is already very open with her thoughts and feelings. She said she wouldnt be transfering for a couple of months, but if she leaves sooner, I may follow her to her new school.


Not a bad day. I feel bad that I cant go there more often, but we shall see....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home