Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Oct. 18, 2006

My second meeting with Jill was a surprise visit at her work. (I had tried to contact her during the week) The student observing her little brother needed a ride to the house, so I offered to go with him. Jill's mother greeted us at the door with a welcoming smile, holding the "demon-dog" so he wouldnt attack us. She informed me and apologized for Jill not being there. She also told me that Jill was at work. I asked if it would be ok to stop by, and her mom said it would be fine.

I left the house and drove down to Jill's work. Jill was tanning when I arrived at her work, so I sat and waited for about 10 mins. When she got out, she didnt notice me there at first. She seemed flustered and was quickly walking around checking up on things. When she noticed me standing at the counter, she relaxed and smiled widely. "Oh, hey!" she said. She was surprised to see me and I explained the situation to her. She had a lot to clean at work, and one of the girls was giving her a hard time. It was interesting to sit back and observe Jill interacting with her coworkers who are all college studnets (Jill is 17). Jill's older sister is the manager of the tanning salon, so Jill has a lot of experience and "power." The girls listen and respect her. Jill asked one girl to clean quickly, and although she did not look happy about it, she complied. Jill commented to me that this particular girl cleaned incredibly slow, but today she was actually going quickly. The other girl working with Jill was very nice and pleasant. Her and Jill seemed to have a great work relationship.

I watched Jill interact with customers; she was very professional and confident. She shows great maturity in the workplace. Although it was a short meeting, I felt like I was able to gain a true sense of Jill at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home